Competing in the X-Stream Cardboard Boat Race
It's easy to participate in this fun event. Put together a team of 2 people aged between 12 and 18, plus an adult supervisor. Then think about some boat design ideas, and perhaps put together a theme with some costumes and you're all set.
If you are interested in participating and do not have a team, please send in an application and we will put together teams where possible.
- Each team must consist of 2 people aged 12 to 18 plus one adult supervisor.
- Two competitors must be in the boat around the course.
- Only supplied materials (cardboard, styrofoam and duct tape) can be used to construct the boat.
- Contestants may use their own paddles or those supplied by the Festival for propulsion.
- Approved PFD's and shoes must be worn by all competitors in the boat.
- Each team has 1 1/2 hours to build their boat.
- There is a $15 non-refundable registration fee per team.
- Longer boats go faster but are harder to turn
- Laminate corrugated cardboard together so the corrugation runs at 90 degrees between layers
- Don't step on the cardboard while building – it weakens it
- Use lots of duct tape to waterproof the boat, but don't run out!
- In general, keep the styrofoam flotation higher so that the boat is more stable
- Flat bottomed boats are more stable than V-shaped bottoms unless the "V" is very gentle
- Be creative - your design doesn't have to look like a boat at all (and may be more likely to win prizes for creativity if it doesn’t!)
The X-Stream Cardboard Boat Race is a popular event and space is limited, so register early to ensure a spot. To receive more information and an application form, please use our contact form and select "X-Stream Cardboard Boat Race".